c/o Peter Norlin, Treasurer
9511 Rolling Greens Drive
Phone: +1 (734)878-2900
Richard Beckhard Award
Richard Beckhard, was one of the founders of the field of Organization Development. One of the most well-known definitions of organization development comes from Beckhard:
“Organization Development is an effort planned, organization-wide, and managed from the top, to increase organization effectiveness and health through planned interventions in the organization's ‘processes’, using behavioral-science knowledge." (1969 Organization Development: Strategies and Models)
Each year the Richard Beckhard Award (RBA) is given to an IODA member who has made an outstanding contribution to either the mission of IODA or to the OD profession. We alternate each year between the award for outstanding contribution to the field of O.D. and the award for outstanding contribution in furthering IODA's mission.
The IODA RBA Committee receives nominations from members each year and the award is made at our annual conference.
The following criteria are considered by the committee:
1. The Richard Beckhard Award for outstanding contribution in furthering IODA's mission:
- Outstanding work and effort in promoting IODA's vision, mission, philosophy and practice at the international level
- Significantly strengthening IODA's network
- Outstanding contribution, for at least three years, to building IODA's institutional foundation and mode of operation
- Outstanding management of IODA's annual conference
- Initiating and conducting social activities impacting the cohesiveness of IODA
2. The Richard Beckhard Award for outstanding contribution to the field of OD:
- Introduction of new tools, innovative theories, creative models or interventions
- Important academic publications or research impacting the conceptualization and/or practice of the OD consultant.
- Outstanding contribution at annual conferences for at least 5 years
- Presenting high quality lecture
- Conducting innovative workshops
- Broadening the conceptual framework of OD through his/her practice
- Fundamentally challenging the way of thinking about the values and practice of OD
- Adding value to societies, organizations and individuals with whom they have worked.
Someone who is currently serving on either the Executive Committee or the RBA committee cannot be considered for the award.
The requirements for nominating:
- You must be a member of IODA.
- Write a letter in support of the candidate with a personal statement about why you are making this nomination
- Include references of the candidate’s professional work ideally including curriculum vitae
- Candidates should not be informed that they have been nominated. Complete and absolute confidentiality is required.
- Send your complete nomination to Noble Kumawu: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2002 Perla Tayko, Philippines
- 2002 Marvin Egberts, Netherlands
- 2005 KC Soares, USA
- 2006 Arkady Prisgozhin, Russia
- 2007 Imre Lövey, Hungary
- 2008 Ury Gluskinos, Israel
- 2009 Jose Campoverde Ayers, Peru
- 2010 Noble Kumawu, Ghana
- 2011 Rita Aloni, Israel
- 2012 Karen Davis, USA
- 2013 Ulla Nagel, Germany
- 2014 Marc Silverman, USA
- 2015 Ben Arikpo, Nigeria
- 2016 Mee-Yan Cheung-Judge, United Kingdom
- 2017 Peter Kalmar, Hungary
IODA life time award
- 2009 Udai Pareek, India
- 2010 John D. Adams, USA
- 2015 Imre Lövey, Hungary
- 2015 Edgar H. Schein, USA
- 2016 Abad Ahmad, India